Areas of Expertise:
- Congressional budget process
- Federal agency budgets and decision making
- Fees for government services
- Federal government’s long-term fiscal outlook
- State and local governments' fiscal condition
- Use of federal grants and other financial assistance
- The quality, transparency, and usefulness of federal spending data
Jeff Arkin is a director in GAO’s Strategic Issues team. He oversees work on federal budget and state and local fiscal issues. These include the congressional budget process, federal agency budget formulation, fees for federal services, and fiscal relationships (e.g., grants) between the federal government and state and local governments.
Jeff joined GAO in March 2002. Prior to joining GAO, Jeff worked as a marketing analyst for a satellite communications company, as well as independently for a variety of private and public sector clients.
Jeff earned a master’s degree from the School of Global Policy and Strategy at the University of California, San Diego. Jeff earned a bachelor’s degree in Latin American history from Middlebury College (Vermont).